The Zimbabwean side of the Victoria Falls offers some of the finest views of the falls and the little town of Victoria Falls remains safe and tranquil.
The Victoria Falls offers a dramatic scenic contrast and change of pace from your safari experience. Certainly it is a sight not to be missed. Especially when the Zambezi river is in full flow (from March to June/July). Indeed, at this time, over a mile of unbroken surging water plunges into the Zambezi gorge below.
The Victoria Falls lies right on the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia. Each country offers a different viewing perspective. Towards the end of the dry season from late September to January, the spectacle is best seen from the Zimbabwe side of the Victoria Falls. As the Zambian side dries up considerably. (Though they are changing the amount of water that the hydro power takes from the river on the Zambian side. So this may improve in future.)
A host of tours revolve around three separate delights: the Victoria Falls itself, the magnificent Zambezi River and the surrounding Zambezi National Park.
Mari JacobsAfrica Travel Specialist
Why you may love it
- Wide variety of activities on offer from your standard walking tours of the falls to adventure activities like bungee jumping, gorge swinging or the flying fox and ziplining; Helicopter or microlight flights over the falls. Then there is the Victoria Falls Canopy tour for the family, a network of slides, trails and rope bridges within the canopy of the Zambezi Gorge forest with spectacular views to Victoria Falls bridge and the rapids below.
- The mighty Zambezi River itself has two characters. The gentle river above is perfect for sunset boat cruises and game viewing by canoe or fishing, whilst below the Falls is more adventurous for the adrenalin rush of white-water rafting.
- Zambezi National Park is great for 4x4 game drives, horse ridging, walking safaris & fishing.
- Elephant Camp offers elephant interactions activities or you can take part in their grooming and feeding activities.
- Further afield is the wildlife haven of Chobe National Park for a day safari trip, but we suggest staying a night or two in Hwange Game Reserve instead which is an easy 2 hour road transfer south from Victoria Falls.
Explore the Victoria Falls map
When to visit Victoria Falls
November to March
Summer in Victoria Falls
April to May
Autumn in Victoria Falls
June to mid-August
Winter in Victoria Falls
Mid-August to October
Spring in Victoria Falls
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started
Loved Zimbabwe"We really enjoyed the Zimbabwian people, very gentle, smiley people who wish you a good time and want you to love their country. Felt totally safe at all times. The abundance of activities – Walking safari. Canoeing the Zambezi. Fishing on the Zambezi. Sunset cruise. Bird and Butterfly drives. Private breakfast on the banks of the river – Tailor make it all to suit." Mr & Mrs Leake, UK
Spectacular"The Drakensberg mountains were spectacular. We most enjoyed Victoria Falls that literally took your breath away. The river boat cruises at Livingstone were well worth it. Also getting so close to the animals at Umlani in the Timbavati, even the lions and leopards." Mr Martin Butler, UK
Experiences in Victoria Falls
- Moonbowa Rainbow at night during full moon
- Size1,708 metres wide and 108 metres high