Have you considered taking a self drive safari holiday in South Africa or Namibia? Perhaps friends have done it and told you how easy it is? We certainly believe it is one of the most enjoyable ways to explore these country. You experience beautiful landscapes and meet the people at your own pace.
But perhaps you are more hesitant? Concerned about the condition of the roads, the ease of car hire, or getting lost? Cedarberg Africa started way back in 1995 as self-drive experts for South Africa and Namibia. Thousands of our clients have happily enjoyed a self drive holiday for all or part of their holiday. So we’re here to explain that a self drive safari holiday is very easy to enjoy in South Africa or Namibia…
Why Self-drive Holidays in South Africa?
- Excellent value for money compared to having private transfers or a guide. See our blog post on Easy self drive tours in South Africa for a comparison of self drive vs scheduled tours vs private tours...
- Flexibility – no set daily plan. You can do what you like when you like. All that’s booked for you is your accommodation.
- Take our sample self drive tours and adapt them as you wish, adding nights or changing hotels.
- Select what type of car group you want from compact to luxurious.
- Driving is on the left, the roads are generally excellent and all the road signs are in English.
- We provide detailed directions and a comprehensive travel itinerary outlining suggested routes & what to see in each area
- GPS or Data on the Go is always included in the rental car
Naturally, we craft most of our self-drive holidays to South Africa to your personal needs, taking a detailed brief from you.
Using a specialist tour operator who books a lot of self-drive in South Africa also saves you plenty of time and money. We have all the directions to the hotels and lodges at our fingertips. We know which routes are the easiest and most picturesque. We know where GPS is not to be relied on. We also know how far people can comfortably travel in one day and still enjoy their holiday...
Best routes for Self Drive Safari Tours in South Africa?
Probably the routes that everyone finds easy are in the Cape province. You can settle into the country in Cape Town, then have a car delivered to your hotel when you are ready to start exploring around the Cape Peninsula, out to the Winelands. From there you can head north to the Cederberg and West Coast. Or east to the Whale Coast, the Garden Route and the Eastern Cape on a safari.
However there are many other parts of the country to explore. KwaZulu Natal is a perfect destination for self-drive as private touring is expensive there, plus there's lots of variety. You can also head into more off the beaten track areas such as the Northern Cape of Namaqualand and the Kalahari, the Waterberg or even the northern Limpopo.
Self-Drive Holidays in South Africa: It’s not “all or nothing”
Of course it’s one thing enjoying a self drive holiday in the Cape or along the Garden Route. You may feel comfortable with that. But want road transfers or a private guide elsewhere? Not a problem! Combining self drive with private transfers and touring is a great way to have the best of all worlds.
- A self-drive holiday gives you the flexibility to enjoy the day as you want, unconstrained by a set itinerary… the freedom to travel at your own pace.
- It’s the most affordable way to get around and see the country.
- Driving is on the left in South Africa and Namibia, the road network is excellent and the signs are all in English.
- We have several sample self-drive tours in South Africa and Namibia to whet your appetite.
Cedarberg always create amazing holidays"Cedarberg do not fail to deliver they always create amazing holidays and we can not fault. We’ve used Cedarberg 5 times and keep going back for more African experiences Excellent. Amazing as always, as we always seem to test you guys with snow, weddings & having to change destination. You never fail to give us the best. " Mrs Alexei Howell, UK
We will certainly use Cedarberg again"All the arrangements worked perfectly – no hiccups at all. We will certainly use Cedarberg again and will recommend the company to others. We were particularly impressed by the fact that the ground agents met us from every flight and saw us on to the next flight so if anything had gone awry there was someone on hand to help us sort it out. As one gets older that is enormously comforting. " Ms Sandra Clark, UK
Outstanding holiday"The arrangements worked well. Many thanks for all the hard work. " Mr Bund, UK
Africa Travel Specialist
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started
- Speed Limit in South Africa & Namibia120 km/hour on the highways
- Cross BorderYou can drive between South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Eswatini & Botswana