A spectacular coastline of dramatic headlands and white sandy beaches backed by verdant mountains. A natural paradise for families, honeymooners and couples.
The Garden Route thoroughly deserves its reputation for enchanting beauty. The name refers to this superb stretch of coast between Mossel Bay and the Storms River. It offers a spectacular coastline of dramatic headlands which give way to white sandy beaches. Behind are soaring mountains covered by indigenous rainforest, magnificent twisting passes, waterfalls and wooded ravines. In other areas, the beach is backed by bird-filled lagoons and wetland lakes.
Garden Route holidays are perfect for those wanting to relax in beautiful surroundings or for those seeking adventure. There are walking and hiking trails by the lakes, along the coast and in the mountains. Adrenalin-junkies are spoilt for choice with bungee jumping, bridge swinging, tubing and Great White Shark cage diving... Horse-riding, canoeing, mountain biking and excellent golfing are readily arranged. There’s a vast amount to see and do on the Garden Route so filling your days will not be a problem. Choosing what to leave out may be more difficult.
The Garden Route is an ideal self-drive destination. There are good roads, good signage and lots of fun activities and country restaurants are easily accessible. However, we can also arrange guided touring on request. A guide does make it easier to include a wider geographical range in less time.
Mari JacobsAfrica Travel Specialist
Why you may love it
- Whale and dolphin-watching by boat in Plettenberg Bay.
- Cruise the Knysna Lagoon to Featherbed Nature Reserve for a guided excursion & walk with glorious views.
- Visiting the primates & birds at Monkeyland & the Birds of Eden.
- An alfresco lunch of champagne and oysters in Knysna.
- Enjoying the walking trails in the forest, on the coast or through the wetlands.
- Swimming and surfing off the Garden Route’s glorious beaches.
- Enjoy immaculate golf courses at Fancourt and Pezula.
- Canoeing or boating up the Keurbooms river.
- Exploring the Tsitsikamma forest on the innovative treetop canopy tour.
- Plenty of adrenalin activities from bungy jumping to tubing to kayaking.
Where to go in Garden Route
These are some of the best rated places to visit in Garden Route based on popularity and experience rating by our travelers
Explore the Garden Route map
When to visit Garden Route
Mid-November to mid-March
Summer in Garden Route
Mid-March to April
Autumn in Garden Route
May to August
Winter in Garden Route
September to mid-November
Spring in Garden Route
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started
Kanonkop House – staff review
Kanonkop is perched high above the town with views in all directions through wooded hillside. You can just drive in with easy parking and then walk through the very well-tended gardens, past the pool to the house. It is tempting to just stop at the pool...Then straight into the comfortable and modern living area with a view over the lagoon. Very clearly a family house with homely dog and family photos but very beautifully done and very welcoming. The rooms/suites are in in various buildings over the site. All the rooms are much better than the photos. Very carefully designed.
Experiences in Garden Route
- AcclaimOne of UNESCO's World Network of Biosphere Reserves
- LengthMore than 300km long