For many of us, the notion of the ubiquitous ‘week on the beach’ is deeply embedded in our psyche. It is hard to feel we’ve had proper time away unless we’ve bleached our hair with saltwater. And anointed at least one paperback with a mix of sand and sun lotion. So which are the beaches we can measure against our exacting standards? Crashing breakers and trendy bars, or perhaps a peaceful lagoon and miles from anywhere? There's so much choice for safari and beach holidays in Africa. So a quick chat with us will help you to narrow down the options.
Which beach destination goes with which safari depends on a number of factors.
- Time of year
- Style of beach resort – are you looking for a five star stylish chic resort hotel? Or are you looking for a more laid back relaxed ambiance?
- How active do you want to be? Will you want to try out or perfect your technique on various water sports? Or is a good beach, a spot of snorkeling and the odd sunset cruise all you need?
- Accessibility - We'd all like to head straight from the safari to the beach within a few hours. But sometimes that’s not possible and an overnight stay en route is necessary. Is that a deal breaker for you?
- How deep are your pockets? Some tropical beach destinations are both remote and pricey. So you’ll have to dig deep. We know which options will give you the best value for money if you have a set budget in mind.
Good destinations for Safari & Beach holidays
- South Africa with Mozambique with direct flights to Benguerra or the other islands of the Bazaruto Archipelago
- Botswana or South Africa with the Quirimbas Archipelago in Mozambique or Mauritius – this will necessitate an overnight en route.
- Zambia & Malawi (or even Malawi by itself)
- Tanzania safari with Zanzibar – see Zanzibar Honeymoons for more on this…
- Kenya with the Kenyan coast or the Seychelles
Or check out our favourite beach hotels. These ranges from family-friendly beach resorts to romantic places which make you feel that you are still dreaming, to luxurious hidden island retreats…
Safari & Beach Holidays in South Africa - special considerations
The beach experience in South Africa varies by both region and season in South Africa. So what we recommend for you in August will be completely different from what we recommend in February. The beaches vary immensely - from charming coastal resort towns with golden beaches along the Garden Route and Dolphin Coast to hidden away retreats miles from anywhere. So have a chat with us!
- The winning combination of safari and beach is an appealing option for many. What can be nicer than following the adrenaline, and the all-too-early mornings of a safari, with a more relaxed, unstructured few days on the beach?
- Check out our top picks below, carefully selected to give you the most time on safari and the least time waiting at the airport.
Incredibly well organised"Everything was incredibly well organised and left nothing wanting. We did not see all of the animals that we had hoped for but the experience we had was so much more than that. Hopefully we will return to Africa one day – maybe Namibia / Botswana next time. Thank you so much for organising everything for us it is very much appreciated. " Mr James Coleman
Clearly experts on South Africa!"Very helpful on the phone and by email. Lots of detailed advice and clearly experts on South Africa! Would definitely use again and have already recommended to friends. " Ms Abrahams, UK
Extremely helpful"Peter was extremely helpful. He answered any questions and concerns I had really quickly. Cedarberg website is great with lots of tips. I thought the booking information and itinerary were outstanding and all the pre holiday information made us feel really looked after. " Mrs Lottie Murphy, UK
Africa Travel Specialist
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started
- VarietyBeaches to suit all tastes: calm or waves, tropical or Meditteranean
- Number of CountriesEight of our Destinations have beaches, plus Lake Malawi makes nine
Vacation of a lifetime"Milandi and the Cedarberg team not only planned each detail but also gave us helpful tips in advance to help us prepare for our holiday. Once in SA, there was never a need to contact Cedarberg because each day’s activities went off without a hitch " Mr & Mrs La Doe, USA
Everything went smoothly"From the initial enquiry until the end of the holiday everything went smoothly. We were very happy with all aspects of the holiday. All the hotels were comfortable; well staffed; good food. " Mrs Kate Mars, UK
Once more million thanks for organizing and supervising our trip of the lifetime."Once more million thanks for organizing and supervising our trip of the lifetime. I am glad with choose to stay in multiple lodges and locations as every one of our five stops was absolutely unique. Service and staff were outstanding everywhere. transfers were very smooth and easy. food quality matches Michelin restaurants. And game was superb! I personally enjoyed viewing at Bateleur in Kruger the most , as relatively open spaces gave us the opportunity to see all Big five in no time. Chobe in Botswana was second favorite but mostly because of boat cruises. Lukimbi accommodation, and Sanctuary kitchen were winners in those categories, respectively.
Victoria falls definitely not to be missed, canopy tour and heli ride were cherries on the cake.
Retrospectively I would probably not make any changes to out itinerary! Mr & Mrs Yuly " Mr & Mrs Yuly