For many of us, the notion of the ubiquitous ‘week on the beach’ is deeply embedded in our psyche. It is hard to feel we’ve had proper time away unless we’ve bleached our hair with saltwater. And anointed at least one paperback with a mix of sand and sun lotion. So which are the beaches we can measure against our exacting standards? Crashing breakers and trendy bars, or perhaps a peaceful lagoon and miles from anywhere?
There's so much choice for safari and beach holiday combinations in Africa. So a quick chat with us will help you to narrow down the options.
Which beach destination goes with which safari depends on a number of factors.
- Time of year
- Style of beach resort – are you looking for a five star stylish chic resort hotel? Or are you looking for a more laid back relaxed ambiance?
- How active do you want to be? Will you want to try out or perfect your technique on various water sports? Or is a good beach, a spot of snorkeling and the odd sunset cruise all you need?
- Accessibility - We'd all like to head straight from the safari to the beach within a few hours. But sometimes that’s not possible and an overnight stay en route is necessary. Is that a deal breaker for you?
- How deep are your pockets? Some tropical beach destinations are both remote and pricey. So you’ll have to dig deep. We know which options will give you the best value for money if you have a set budget in mind.
Good destinations for Safari & Beach holidays
- South Africa with Mozambique with direct flights to Benguerra or the other islands of the Bazaruto Archipelago
- Botswana or South Africa with the Quirimbas Archipelago in Mozambique or Mauritius – this will necessitate an overnight en route.
- Zambia & Malawi (or even Malawi by itself)
- Tanzania safari with Zanzibar – see Zanzibar Honeymoons for more on this…
- Kenya with the Kenyan coast or the Seychelles
Or check out our favourite beach hotels. These ranges from family-friendly beach resorts to romantic places which make you feel that you are still dreaming, to luxurious hidden island retreats…
Safari & Beach Holidays in South Africa - special considerations
The beach experience in South Africa varies by both region and season in South Africa. So what we recommend for you in August will be completely different from what we recommend in February. The beaches vary immensely - from charming coastal resort towns with golden beaches along the Garden Route and Dolphin Coast to hidden away retreats miles from anywhere. So have a chat with us!
- The winning combination of safari and beach is an appealing option for many. What can be nicer than following the adrenaline, and the all-too-early mornings of a safari, with a more relaxed, unstructured few days on the beach?
- Check out our top picks below, carefully selected to give you the most time on safari and the least time waiting at the airport.
Hope to return for a third visit"Helpful, patient, understanding. Did not meet anyone face to face but seemed friendly over the email. Although the trip was basically our design, it was good to work with Peter in deciding the actual locations and final route. He took all the “admin” hassle away – car hire, arranging accommodation etc. which meant we could just arrive and enjoy the trip. The final printed trip programme was excellent. " Mr & Mrs Harrison, UK
High satisfaction with Cedarberg"We just returned from our third African safari booked with Milandi. I cannot say enough about our high satisfaction with Cedarberg and, particularly, Milandi. Milandi has always worked with us, making recommendations based on our preferences, and together we “tweak” the itinerary until it is perfect for us. Milandi is efficient, highly responsive, knowledgeable, friendly, and seems to really care and act excited about our booked adventure. Each time we have traveled, all arrangements have been punctual and without any delays or cancellations. Every detail has been prearranged. During our most recent trip, Milandi even checked us in for each of our domestic and intercontinental flights, knowing that we would not have the capability to do so from the camps we visited. Cannot recommend Milandi highly enough!! " Mrs Shirley Spain
I am so glas we used this travel agency!"I am so grateful to Conrad and Cedarberg Africa for helping us have the trip of a lifetime to South Africa! " Mrs Sylvia & Family
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started