For many of us, the notion of the ubiquitous ‘week on the beach’ is deeply embedded in our psyche. It is hard to feel we’ve had proper time away unless we’ve bleached our hair with saltwater. And anointed at least one paperback with a mix of sand and sun lotion. So which are the beaches we can measure against our exacting standards? Crashing breakers and trendy bars, or perhaps a peaceful lagoon and miles from anywhere?
There's so much choice for safari and beach holiday combinations in Africa. So a quick chat with us will help you to narrow down the options.
Which beach destination goes with which safari depends on a number of factors.
- Time of year
- Style of beach resort – are you looking for a five star stylish chic resort hotel? Or are you looking for a more laid back relaxed ambiance?
- How active do you want to be? Will you want to try out or perfect your technique on various water sports? Or is a good beach, a spot of snorkeling and the odd sunset cruise all you need?
- Accessibility - We'd all like to head straight from the safari to the beach within a few hours. But sometimes that’s not possible and an overnight stay en route is necessary. Is that a deal breaker for you?
- How deep are your pockets? Some tropical beach destinations are both remote and pricey. So you’ll have to dig deep. We know which options will give you the best value for money if you have a set budget in mind.
Good destinations for Safari & Beach holidays
- South Africa with Mozambique with direct flights to Benguerra or the other islands of the Bazaruto Archipelago
- Botswana or South Africa with the Quirimbas Archipelago in Mozambique or Mauritius – this will necessitate an overnight en route.
- Zambia & Malawi (or even Malawi by itself)
- Tanzania safari with Zanzibar – see Zanzibar Honeymoons for more on this…
- Kenya with the Kenyan coast or the Seychelles
Or check out our favourite beach hotels. These ranges from family-friendly beach resorts to romantic places which make you feel that you are still dreaming, to luxurious hidden island retreats…
Safari & Beach Holidays in South Africa - special considerations
The beach experience in South Africa varies by both region and season in South Africa. So what we recommend for you in August will be completely different from what we recommend in February. The beaches vary immensely - from charming coastal resort towns with golden beaches along the Garden Route and Dolphin Coast to hidden away retreats miles from anywhere. So have a chat with us!
- The winning combination of safari and beach is an appealing option for many. What can be nicer than following the adrenaline, and the all-too-early mornings of a safari, with a more relaxed, unstructured few days on the beach?
- Check out our top picks below, carefully selected to give you the most time on safari and the least time waiting at the airport.
Holiday of a lifetime"Just wanted to write a quick note to say a big thank you for all your help in arranging what was a fantastic trip for the three of us. My dad loved every minute of it. And said it was a holiday of a lifetime – which is what I of course had hoped it would be for all of us. " Jo & Family
Ginny made excellent suggestions"Ginny made excellent suggestions for our holiday ensuring we had a good variety of things to do which suited the whole family. " Mrs Mary Creayen, UK
Excellent attention to detail"This is the second holiday that Ginny and her team have arranged for us, and once again the service and attention to detail were excellent. Ginny put together a wonderful tailor made itinerary for our trip, and her recommendations were absolutely perfect in enhancing the trip. In today’s world of being able to arrange most things yourself, I have no doubt that there is no way we could have put together a trip like this, you need the depth of local knowledge that Cedarberg have. I thoroughly recommend Cedarberg Travel " Mrs Janet Mudge, UK
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started