Children and beaches are inherently made for each other, so most of our beach destinations will be perfect for kids.
South Africa generally has an active sea with rolling breakers. This is great for body boarding and surfing. But not so ideal if you are looking for the complete range of water sports offered in flatter waters. Similarly, waves are fun for kids. But also add an element of risk for younger children. In contrast, most of Mauritius and Zanzibar are surrounded by coral reefs so that the sea at the beach is calm.
Safari & Beach Family Holidays - Other factors to consider:
- Do you want a safari and beach family holiday? If so, South Africa is the perfect option.
- How far do you want to travel? There are some stunning beaches in Mauritius or the Seychelles. But they involve a fairly long flight and an overnight stay in Johannesburg prior to the flight.
- What sort of family beach holiday are you looking for? Waves or calm lagoon waters?
- When are you travelling? Northern hemisphere summer holidays mean winter in the Cape – great for beach walks but not really beach & swimming weather. At that time of year, you’ll need to head to the far north of South Africa or the sub-tropical islands of Mauritius, Mozambique or Zanzibar…
So there are several options:
- Opt for a South Africa beach, safari and sightseeing holiday
- Combine South Africa with Mozambique or Mauritius for the beach
- Combine Tanzania with Zanzibar, or Kenya with its coast
Other Safari & Beach Family Holiday Articles
Best things to do with Kids on the Garden Route
Mozambique Ocean Experience at White Pearl
- South Africa tends to have a more dramatic sea with lots of waves to jump or body-surf on.
- Many of the Indian Ocean islands off the Eastern coast of Africa have coral reefs and so are much calmer.
- Remember the Cape coast of South Africa doesnt have beach weather during the northern hemispher Summer holidays (July & August)
Not sure where to take your kids in Cape Town?Check out our Top 20 places to visit for kids & families in Cape Town Get our Free guide here
Africa Travel Specialist
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started