Family Beach Holidays
Many fond childhood memories include a beach holiday.
Children and beaches are inherently made for each other so most of our beach destinations will be perfect for kids.
South Africa generally has an active sea with rolling breakers. This is great for body boarding and surfing. But not so ideal if you are looking for the complete range of water sports as offered in flatter waters. Similarly, waves are fun for kids but also add an element of risk for younger children. In contrast, most of Mauritius and Zanzibar are surrounded by coral reefs so that the sea at the beach is calm.
Other factors to consider:
- Do you want to combine a beach stay with other activities such as safari or general touring?
- How far do you want to travel? There are some stunning beaches in Mauritius or the Seychelles. But they involve a fairly long flight and an overnight stay in Johannesburg prior to the flight.
- What sort of family beach holiday are you looking for? Waves or calm lagoon waters?
- When are you travelling? Northern hemisphere summer holidays mean winter in the Cape – great for beach walks but not really beach & swimming weather. At that time of year, you’ll need to head to the far north of South Africa or the sub-tropical islands of Mauritius, Mozambique or Zanzibar…
So there are several options:
- Opt for a South Africa beach and sightseeing holiday
- Combine South Africa with Mozambique or Mauritius for the beach
- Combine Tanzania with Zanzibar or Kenya with its coast
Other Family Beach Holiday Articles
- South Africa tends to have a more dramatic sea with lots of waves to jump or body-surf on.
- Many of the Indian Ocean islands off the Eastern coast of Africa have coral reefs and so are much calmer.
- Remember the Cape coast of South Africa doesnt have beach weather during the northern hemispher Summer holidays (July & August)
Glad we booked with Cedarberg"They were very informative and helpful. Milandi in particular helped us with car hire and when I lost my wallet on arrival in Cape Town. Milandi was always available to discuss and change anything required. Emails were replied to promptly." Mr Chris Jones, UK
Mr Chris Day, UK - Peter"Peter couldn’t have been more helpful, and his suggestions were all relevant and useful to us." Mr Chris Day, UK
High satisfaction with Cedarberg"We just returned from our third African safari booked with Milandi. I cannot say enough about our high satisfaction with Cedarberg and, particularly, Milandi. Milandi has always worked with us, making recommendations based on our preferences, and together we “tweak” the itinerary until it is perfect for us. Milandi is efficient, highly responsive, knowledgeable, friendly, and seems to really care and act excited about our booked adventure. Each time we have traveled, all arrangements have been punctual and without any delays or cancellations. Every detail has been prearranged. During our most recent trip, Milandi even checked us in for each of our domestic and intercontinental flights, knowing that we would not have the capability to do so from the camps we visited. Cannot recommend Milandi highly enough!!" Mrs Shirley Spain
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started