Family Beach Holidays
Many fond childhood memories include a beach holiday.
Children and beaches are inherently made for each other so most of our beach destinations will be perfect for kids.
South Africa generally has an active sea with rolling breakers. This is great for body boarding and surfing. But not so ideal if you are looking for the complete range of water sports as offered in flatter waters. Similarly, waves are fun for kids but also add an element of risk for younger children. In contrast, most of Mauritius and Zanzibar are surrounded by coral reefs so that the sea at the beach is calm.
Other factors to consider:
- Do you want to combine a beach stay with other activities such as safari or general touring?
- How far do you want to travel? There are some stunning beaches in Mauritius or the Seychelles. But they involve a fairly long flight and an overnight stay in Johannesburg prior to the flight.
- What sort of family beach holiday are you looking for? Waves or calm lagoon waters?
- When are you travelling? Northern hemisphere summer holidays mean winter in the Cape – great for beach walks but not really beach & swimming weather. At that time of year, you’ll need to head to the far north of South Africa or the sub-tropical islands of Mauritius, Mozambique or Zanzibar…
So there are several options:
- Opt for a South Africa beach and sightseeing holiday
- Combine South Africa with Mozambique or Mauritius for the beach
- Combine Tanzania with Zanzibar or Kenya with its coast
Other Family Beach Holiday Articles
- South Africa tends to have a more dramatic sea with lots of waves to jump or body-surf on.
- Many of the Indian Ocean islands off the Eastern coast of Africa have coral reefs and so are much calmer.
- Remember the Cape coast of South Africa doesnt have beach weather during the northern hemispher Summer holidays (July & August)
Hope to return for a third visit"Helpful, patient, understanding. Did not meet anyone face to face but seemed friendly over the email. Although the trip was basically our design, it was good to work with Peter in deciding the actual locations and final route. He took all the “admin” hassle away – car hire, arranging accommodation etc. which meant we could just arrive and enjoy the trip. The final printed trip programme was excellent." Mr & Mrs Harrison, UK
Exceeded all expectations"Cedarberg was professional, responsive, and personable. All flights, all transfers, all accommodation, all activities, and the safari itself went exactly to plan. The experience, end-to-end, exceeded all expectations." Mr Michael Barnard
Excellent bespoke itineraries"Milandi puts together excellent bespoke itineraries, is proactive and provides excellent customer service" Mrs Jessie, UK
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started