As specialists in Family safari holidays, we’ve seen a flourishing growth in stylish hotels and game lodges that welcome families. However designing the best family safari for each client remains an art and not a science. There’s a difference between family-friendly lodges, and family-tolerant ones, and we are constantly evaluating our family safari lodges on this score.
Some people seem to assume that once you have kids, all families are identical in terms of their needs. They want a beach and middle-of-the-road hotels. We know that NOTHING is further from the truth!
Families vary every bit as much as couples do. Yes, sometimes you are on a tighter budget, but ideally you want the same quality of hotels that you enjoyed before you had kids. Some may just want the beach, but others are well-travelled and keen to experience cultural nuances.
Furthermore, each family is different – your kids’ ages, ideal sleeping arrangements, travelling abilities and family interests all influence what sort of family safari in Africa is right for YOU.
We suggest that you look at our family safari top picks below. Then give us a call or email us. We’ll chat to you, find out what you are looking for and put together a tailormade proposal for YOUR family safari.
Why book your Family Safari with Cedarberg Africa?
- We know our stuff! We've been doing this for a long time. So we know which safari lodges & hotels cater for children & what they offer.
We've travelled extensively with our own children. So we have 1st-hand knowledge of what works and what doesn’t!
- Our family safari proposals describe the exact nature of the accommodation.
- We have a wealth of information on activities for kids & nearby family attractions in the popular areas, including our complimentary guides to the Garden Route and Cape Town.
Family Safaris – Factors to Consider
We believe that introducing your kids to the wonders of African wildlife makes for a great family holiday. However it’s important to consider what will be the best family safari experience for YOU.
- The age and attention span of your children
- Their ability to travel long distances happily (either by car or by air)
- Trade-off between seeing animals in an accessible region (minimising travelling time) versus seeing wildlife in a more remote, wilderness location?
- Your attitude towards malaria?
- What sort of trips does your family enjoy? Adventurous or laid back? Lots of activities, or time alone in a pristine environment?
- Always together, or some time apart?
- Whether you’d like a specialist family safari programme (available at selected lodges) or have a more relaxed free-form family safari in mind?
See our Tips for Kids on Safari article.
Family Safaris & Malaria
Malaria is around in most, but not all, safari destinations in Africa. We recommend that you don’t take small children (five & under) to year-round malarial areas. Older children simply take the same precautions as adults. Avoid being bitten by covering up with long-sleeved trousers and shirts just before the sun sets and applying child-friendly insect repellent.
South Africa also has a number of seasonal malaria areas where the risk of malaria is greatly reduced between May and September, such as the Kruger Park and northern KwaZulu Natal.
See Malaria-Free Safaris for more details…
Some Blog Posts about Family Safaris & Family Holidays
- Kids love learning about the natural cycles of the earth, the predator hierarchy and the fascinating ways animals adapt to their environment.
- A safari is the perfect way to explore new interests as a family
Seamless and amazing"Thank you so much, we have returned and we had the best, best, best time! Thank you so much it was seamless and amazing, I would use Cedarberg again. Thank you Maddy!" Mr Ben Cunningham, USA
All your arrangements/transfers worked like clockwork"We have had the most fantastic holiday and that all your arrangements / transfers etc worked like clockwork. The accommodation and food was excellent everywhere we stayed. It has left us hungry for more (especially Victoria Falls) so we had better get saving for a return trip! This was our first trip to South Africa and we had no idea how stunningly beautiful your country is." Laughton Family, UK
Clearly experts on South Africa!"Very helpful on the phone and by email. Lots of detailed advice and clearly experts on South Africa! Would definitely use again and have already recommended to friends." Ms Abrahams, UK
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started
- Non-malaria wildlife areasSouth Africa: Waterberg, Eastern Cape & Madikwe
- Ugly 5Hyena, wildebeest, vulture, warthog & marabou stork