Kenya was one of the first countries to embrace the joys of family safaris in Africa. it remains one of the best.
A big plus point for family holidays in Kenya is that many of the private reserves and concessions don’t just offer game-viewing by vehicle. They also offer also camel rides, horse riding and tracking with a Masai warrior. Or fishing in the river and even canoeing or tubing in season. So there's no excuse for your kids to get bored!
We tailor-make each of our family safaris in Kenya. We combine at least two contrasting wildlife areas with a few days relaxing on the beach at the end. Kenya is a malarial area - mainly at the coast. So family safaris in Kenya are best suited to slightly older children (i.e. ideally six years and over). They’ll really appreciate the ease with which you can skip from the bush to beach after your fix of safari excitement…
We don’t have set Kenya family hsafaris on the website. But many of our sample safaris are suitable for families - see below. Usually we hand-craft a family safari after discussing your specific interests.
Exclusive-use Safari Houses
Another plus for Kenya family holidays are the number of 'Safari Houses' on offer. These are exclusive use houses or villas. Your family party takes the whole lodge, not just one or two inter-leading rooms. The Safari House usually comes with its own game ranger. So that you have freedom to plan your family’s game drives. Plus a private chef and staff team. Some of these villas are adjacent to a larger lodge. (So that you can join in selected lodge activities as you wish.)
As you can imagine, this leads to a much more relaxed and flexible family safari in Kenya. No constant worrying about noise levels, no self-consciousness about an impromptu game of 'Marco Polo' in the pool. You are free to choose your own game-viewing rhythm, heading out early one morning and taking it more relaxed another day. You can eat what you want, when you want it.
- The great migration of wildebeest and zebra from the Serengeti into the Mara takes place during the northern hemisphere Summer holidays.
- Loads of activities that children can enjoy - especially on the private reserves and concessions - from camel rides to horse riding to tracking spore with a masai warrior…
- Several exclusive use safari houses & villas are perfect for individual families or larger family groups
Download our Insiders Guide to Family SafarisFamily-friendly Destinations, types of Family accommodation, sample tours & useful tips & tricks Get our Free Family Safari guide
Co-founder & Director
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started
- MigrationMigration = Summer School Holidays in Northern Hemisphere
- RunningKalenjin tribe is dubbed ‘the running tribe’ for its unbelievable ability to create world record-breaking runners