Stellenbosch is a historic university town and one of South Africa’s prettiest, with charming Cape Dutch streets lined with water furrows and shaded by oak trees.
Stellenbosch is the second oldest town in South Africa – and certainly one of the prettiest! This historic university town was founded in 1679. It still has a number of charming Cape Dutch streets shaded by oak trees and lined with water furrows. This architecture is of a simple character with white limestone walls, thatched roofs and wide avenues. Meander up the picturesque Dorp Street, perhaps visiting ‘Oom Samie se Winkel’? Or drop into the Village Museum, a collection of preserved houses, for an insight into the lives of the early settlers.
We like the fact that Stellenbosch is a real town and not a ‘show’ village. There are plenty of shops and art galleries to browse and a lively student atmosphere. Plus there are loads of excellent restaurants within easy walking distance of your hotel.
Stellenbosch is the most central town of the Winelands. Therefore it makes a perfect base for wine-touring. Either meander along the Stellenbosch wine route or take in the neighbouring wine routes of Franschhoek or Paarl.
Mari JacobsAfrica Travel Specialist
Why you may love it
- Lots of interesting shops, galleries & restaurants
- Bites & Sites walking foodie tours
- Stellenbosch Village Museum or the Rupert Museum with its superb South African art collection
- Meander along the Stellenbosch Wine Route visiting Waterford, Warwick, Spier, Stark-Conde wine estates amongst others
- Enjoy gourmet lunches at nearby wine estates. Some of the top restaurants in the country are in or near the town
- Birds of Prey rehabilitation centre at Spier Wine Estate
- Boschendal Wine Estate with its picnic hampers, vineyard walks, wine-tasting and cellar tours
- Walking in Jonkershoek Nature Reserve with a choice of trails
- Guided bicycle tours of Stellenbosch and nearby Jonkershoek
- Giraffe House wildlife awareness centre
- Van Ryn’s brandy distillery tour and tasting
Explore the Stellenbosch map
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started
Experiences in Stellenbosch
- Established1679 by Governor Simon van der Stel
- FiresThe 1710, 1803 and 1875 fires almost completely destroyed the town