Laze on the beaches of the 'Isle of Abundance' or climb the dramatic cliffs which soar above the ancient forests.
All flights arrive into Mahé, the hub of the Seychelles and home to 90% of its population. In contrast to the pared down lifestyle of the smaller islands, Mahé could almost be described as bustling and even has nightlife of sorts.
There are more than 70 beaches to choose from but Mahé is the ideal island for the active, as water sports and dive centres, game fishing and inland excursions are all on offer.
You can even hire a car for a day or two and explore the island, visiting the beautiful Botanical Gardens, meander along the forest-covered mountain roads and visit one of the many vanilla and spice farms. The tiny capital of Victoria is worth exploring for a morning: visiting the local markets, shopping for handicrafts in the attractive boulevard shops and enjoying a seafood lunch.
In a few days on Mahé you can visit the Botanical Gardens, take a nature trail in the mountains, go diving or simply laze on one of the 70 beaches! Morne Seychellois National Park covers almost 20% of the whole island and offers some stunning hiking trails.
Sonja BrandAfrica Travel Specialist
Why you may love it
- Ideal hub if you only have a few days to spend In Seychelles as there is plenty to keep you busy, from water sports and dive centres to fishing and inland excursions.
- Good combination of 70 beaches to choose from and a taste of the local Creole culture.
- Great for people who like to explore and be active, combining time on the beach with sight-seeing or hiking.
Explore the Mahe map
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started
- FloraHome to rare plants found only in Seychelles, like the jellyfish tree
- SizeLargest island archipelago - 144km²