Gondwana Game Reserve
₤ 319 (Pps)
- Gondwana has a choice of Kwena Lodge or Luxury 3-4 bedroom Bush Villas, perfect for friends or family parties
- Stunningly beautiful game reserve
- Healthy population of wildlife
- Gondwana Game Reserve offers the possibility of combining a safari with scenic touring
- Stunning walking country (designated area of the reserve without predators)
Gondwana Game Reserve, on 11,000 hectares of undulating Cape fynbos, is the only game reserve in the Garden Route which offers free roaming Big Five wildlife. However its real attraction is the ability to enjoy this wildlife in such beautiful surroundings - endless mountain vistas contrast with green valleys covered with exquisite Cape fynbos - adding vivid colour and interest to your wildlife experience.
Kwena Lodge is inspired by the Khoi San culture. It has a chic open plan dining room, lounge and bar with a small spa and large outdoor pool, all enjoying the panoramic views of the valley dwarfed by the dramatic Langeberg mountain backdrop. Its 14 open plan suites (70sqm) resemble an African village but with a modern and luxurious twist. Each spacious suite has beds under a skylight with private dressing area behind, large open plan bathroom with enclosed toilet, fireplace, deck, minibar and telephone.
Dining at Gondwana Game Reserve takes place in either the elegant dining room with its open fireplaces, the outdoor boma or in private outdoor salas. Guests may be treated to surprise bush breakfasts, romantic picnics, evening barbecues and scenic sundowner spots.
The luxurious Fynbos Villas, with wraparound valley and mountain views , are a short drive away and are ideal for families and friends looking for space and privacy. The ten villas are approximately 240sqm, and are available with 3 bedrooms. Each has an open-plan lounge, dining and kitchen area, with a wood fireplace and private deck offering stunning views.
Bush Villas are further away and have 3 to 4 bedrooms. These can be taken on a half board or full board with game activities. However you would need your own vehicle as they are 15-20 mins drive from Kwena lodge and the start of the drives. Thus they are only really suitable for larger family parties wanting to be together in seclusion (and at a lower price point.)
Activities at Gondwana Game Reserve
Gondwana Game Reserve include game drives in open 4x4 vehicles as well as horse safaris, bush picnics, fishing, mountain biking and birding in the reserve's 1000 hectare separately fenced protected area. The Gondwana Game Reserve accommodates endangered species such as the Cape Mountain Zebra and black rhino - and the rest of the Big Five - and a high diversity of antelope species. The Reserve has also introduced hippo, cheetah and giraffe.
Gondwana Game Reserve lies only 4 hours drive from Cape Town, 25 minutes from Mossel Bay and 45 minutes from George Airport. This malaria-free reserve shares the Garden Route's idyllic climate and attractions with a number of top golf courses close by as well as great swimming beaches and attractive coastal towns.
Families at Gondwana
Godwana is a non-malarial family-friendly lodge. Children of 6 upwards can join the main game drive. But if you take a private game vehicle, then younger kids can also join. The 3-4 bedroom fynbos villas are ideal for families (see above). They offer a Junior Ranger Programme (6 - 12 years). Children will receive a fun Ranger’s backpack and cool safari booklet to fill in throughout their stay. During game drives and other activities with their ranger, kids will be taught how to identify mammals, birds, Fynbos species, and even stars.
Gondwana Game Reserve on the map
Kwena Lodge Rooms
14 stand-alone bedroom suites designed with a modern and luxurious twist on the traditional Khoi-San “hut” for romantic safari accommodation. Each open plan suite is nestled into its spectacular surrounds with 180-degree views of the spectacular mountains and Fynbos scenery, sky lights for star gazing, fi replaces and deep baths to keep you warm upon return from an evening game drive.
Lodge facilities include an infinity pool with bar service and covered loungers, open-plan lounge and bar area, reception and curio shop, tented bush spa, elegant African restaurant, covered dining veranda, and outdoor dining boma.
There are 14 stand-alone bedrooms: 75m2, open plan, double volume with thatch roof and mountain views; large bathroom with rain shower, deep bath with picture window, double sinks and separate toilet room; indoor seating area by fi replace, separate dressing area, and private covered patio with double lounger; King or Twin Beds, 100% cotton linen, bath towels and bathrobes, Non-allergenic pillows, hairdryer, tea station and bar fridge. In-room safety-deposit box, electricity: AC 220V, free WIFI; Twice-daily housekeeping with turn downs.
Fynbos Villas and Bush Villas
16 Private Fynbos Villas and Bush Villas offer total privacy and spaciousness to groups particularly families with children. The deluxe three and four bedroom villas feature an open plan lounge with kitchen and dining room all opening onto a wraparound deck with magnificent valley and mountain views.
Fynbos Villas located next to Kwena Lodge transfers provided.
Bush Villas located +-5-10 km from Kwena Lodge and require self drive to the lodge for meals and game drives.
Villa facilities include an open plan, double volume lounge, kitchen and dining area with double volume thatch roof, fireplace and TV/DVD; expansive deck with BBQ and magnificent valley and mountain views; Villas are approximately 250m2 in size and ideal for families and groups; Bedrooms with king or twin beds, seating areas, dressing areas, fi replaces (Fynbos Villas only) and deck areas; En-suite bathrooms with walk in shower, deep bath, double sinks and separate toilet room; King or Twin Beds, 100% cotton linen, bath towels and bathrobes, Non-allergenic pillows, hairdryer, tea station and bar fridge. In-room safety-deposit box, electricity: AC 220V, free Wifi; Twice-daily housekeeping with turn downs.
Luxuriously spacious and stylish African villa with your own Field Guide, Chef and Butler. The villa is privately situated in the reserve’s 1200 hectare walking area surrounded by grasslands teaming with game. Three luxurious guest suites, with endless mountain views, provide extravagant accommodation for 6 adults or 4 adults and 4 children. The ultimate bush getaway to restore and revive with friends or family in a Big 5 game reserve ideally and accessibly located on the Garden Route.
Privately staffed, 500m2 exclusive use lodge, located in the reserve’s 1200 hectare walking area;
Three luxurious guest suites with mountain views and expansive open plan bathrooms provide extravagant accommodation; Bathrooms with rain shower, deep bath, double sinks, outdoor shower and private deck; King or Twin Beds, 100% cotton 500 thread count linen, bath towels and bathrobes, Non-allergenic pillows, hairdryer, electricity: AC 220V; Twice-daily housekeeping with turn downs; The Villa can accommodate 4 adults and 4 kids; in addition to this the Loft Apartment with a separate entrance can accommodate 2 adults at no additional cost; Pool and Jacuzzi/hot tub with extensive deck area to take in spectacular surrounds; Inclusive of all gourmet meals and local beverages; Private chef, butler, field guide and game viewer for the duration of your stay; • Additional included activities: including Fynbos and wildlife hikes, Mountain biking (6 adult bikes and 2 children’s provided), fishing and trail running, Junior Ranger Programme; Premium specialty coffee maker, Wifi and DSTV.
Tented Eco Camp
Gondwana Game Reserve has developed a one of a kind conservation tourism experience for individuals, families or groups who want to get more involved in Africa on their safari. Participants will be involved in wildlife and veld management, learn important bush skills and interpretation, and simply enjoy a behind the scenes view of a Big Five private game reserve. The research and findings from the program are fed back to Gondwana’s conservation department to assist in decision making enhancing the reserve management plan. The itinerary will include plenty of game drives, bush walks, and down time in an utterly inspiring landscape. This is your chance to get involved with the important conservation work of a Big Five game reserve and not only enjoy but contribute.
Your base during the program will be in our eco-friendly, solar powered, stylish tented camp set in a protected Fynbos valley in the heart of the game reserve. The camp facilities include 5 large, comfortable twin or king share tents set on raised platforms each with a private bathroom and covered deck area. All meals are provided in the camp’s outdoor dining boma or in the main communal tent which includes kitchen, lounge, and dining areas, with a nearby pool and hammock relaxation area. The safari style cuisine is wholesome, homemade and hearty with braai's and stews for dinner and wraps and salads for lunch. A private dedicated team of three (two expert field guides and chef) look after up to 10 guests for an incredibly intimate and exclusive experience.
* 3 or 5 Day Conservation / Safari Program (Thursday arrival).
* Accommodation in remote, solar powered, tented eco bush camp.
* All Food and beverages included (except soft drinks and alcoholic beverages not served on game
* Twice daily Housekeeping Service (including all linen and towels.)
* All conservation activities and Game Drives on private vehicle dedicated to the camp.
• Wildlife monitoring and recording (focus on large predator movement (lion))
• Monitoring of the cape leopard cameras established on Gondwana and surrounding area
• Management and support of the cheetah re-wilding program
• Alien invasive tree species eradication
• Water assessments
• Elephant dung sampling
• Bird identification and monitoring
• Translocation & veterinary care of wildlife – season dependent
• Bush skills and interpretation
• Veld management
NEWLY LAUNCHED PIONEER TRAIL (Walking Safari) - LAUNCHED IN NOVEMBER 2019
JUST BRING YOUR BOOTS!
The award winning Gondwana Game Reserve is launching a three night walking trail traversing through the private, Big five, 11 000 hectare, malaria free game reserve. The trail takes you to three remote tented fly camp locations with two full days of hiking. Your expert trail guides will intimately expose you to the Reserve’s unique biodiversity and eco-systems while experiencing the Big Five and multiple species of antelope on foot.
Gondwana’s Pioneer Trail is the ultimate slack packing adventure where your belongings are moved daily between the three camps, allowing you to experience the dramatic Fynbos landscape with only a light day pack. Each exclusive camp is comprised of four tents with en-suite bathrooms sleeping a maximum of 8 guests. Homemade African inspired meals are catered for you with cold beverages on tap. You literally need to “just bring your boots” and the Pioneer Trail team will do the rest. It has been said there is no better way to experience nature and wildlife than on foot.
• 3 Tented Fly Camps each with:
• 4 sleeping tents with en-suite bathrooms and covered outdoor seating area
• Main dining and lounge tents
• Outdoor dining boma and campfire area
• Staff complement: Camp Assistant and two Trails Guides (same team for 3 nights)
Pioneer Trail Detail
• The trail will traverse the 11 000 hectare, free roaming big five game reserve under the escort of
two armed and qualified trails guides.
• Approximately 10 kilometres of walking per day (+/- 6hrs of walking a day)
• Exclusive remote footpaths and game trails requiring medium exertion
• Daily packed lunches and tea and water breaks throughout the trail
• Luggage and valuables can be stowed at Lehele Lodge for guests that are not self drive
• 12 years of age and above
• Physically capable of walking 6 hours a day
• Set departure days: Monday and Thursday with 3 night stay
• The Trail runs in the summer season only from October through April
3 Night Itinerary
Day 1 - Start days are Monday and Thursday
• Arrival to Gondwana Game Reserve for lunch and check in (meet your trail team and discuss any
dietary requirements or other details)
• Guests to pack 3 days of belongings into provided duffl e bags and lock remaining luggage in their
• Guests to be issued with all hiking equipment: day packs, water bottles, walking sticks, etc
• Trails Team to transfer guests to fi rst Tented Fly Camp in open Game Viewer
• Afternoon tea and treats in camp
• Afternoon guided Game Drive in Big Five Reserve with sundowner with your Field Guide
• Dinner and drinks around the fi re
• Briefing for Day 1 on the trail
Day 2 and 3
• Morning Wake up
• Camp Breakfast
• Depart on Trail with packed day pack including provided lunch
• On the trail: Guided interpretive walking exploring the Fynbos biome, wildlife and birdlife with
scenic rest stops and possible waterhole swims.
• Arrive at Fly Camp 2 and then Camp 3 at approximately 3pm
• Settle into your new tent with your belongings delivered from Camp 1 and then Camp 2
• Afternoon Tea and treats provided
• Afternoon at leisure (Have a drink, take a shower, read a book)
• Dinner and Drinks around the campfire
• Morning Wake up
• Camp Breakfast Fry up
• Morning Game Drive out of remote campsite 3 back to your vehicle for check out