Everyone’s idea of the ‘perfect’ honeymoon is different. Some couples would love nothing more than to be pampered and laze around a pool all day, sipping on ice cold beverages and over-indulging in delicious food. Others prefer a more action-packed adventure honeymoon that gets their hearts racing.
Here we suggest activities that will add some action and adrenalin to your honeymoon…
Note: Also check out our Honeymoon pages including safari honeymoons, 24 carat honeymoons, safari and beach honeymoons, South African honeymoons
Activities to get your heart beat into over-drive
Even if you are staying at a ‘break the bank’ lodge or hotel – one that oozes peace and serenity – why not throw in some adrenalin-pumping activities to give you a well-rounded honeymoon?
Consider some of these :
- White water rafting on the Zambezi River at Victoria Falls. Depending on the season you can enjoy high or low water levels. If it’s excitement you are seeking, then we suggest visiting between August and late December. At this time, there’s a greater chance of grade 4 and 5 rapids (which equals more thrilling moments).
- Shark Cage diving in the Western Cape. Getting up close and personal with these toothy creatures can certainly zing up your heart rate.
- Swim at Devils pool on Livingstone Island right on the edge of Victoria Falls. And yes, we do mean the very edge. If you are visiting during the low water time, be sure to consider this. Ideal between September and early January (At other times the pool might be too dangerous to get to!).
- Climb the Big Daddy dune in Namibia . At 325 metres, this dune is the tallest in the Sossusvlei area. Take plenty of water and trek to the top of Big Daddy. Here you look down onto the eerily beautiful Dead vlei and the endless array of dunes beyond.
- Canoe on the Zambezi River . This is a great mix of relaxed paddling with the occasional shot of adrenalin inspiring rapids as the river divides into a number of small tributaries. There’s also the frisson of crocodiles, elephants and hippos all around.
- Swim with the dolphins at White Pearl Resort in Mozambique. The sheltered bay is home to a myriad of sea creatures. From the resident dolphins and migrating humpback whales to the endangered turtles who return each year to lay their eggs on these protected shores.
I know what you’re thinking, walking isn’t ‘adventurous’ is it? Well, if you are tracking animals on foot with no game vehicle in sight, then you might think differently. Nothing quite beats the thrill and exhilaration of a walking safari…
Here are some of our top choices for your adventure honeymoon:
- Walking safaris in the Kruger National Park in South Africa with an opportunity of a rustic sleep-out in the bush
- Tracking rhino on foot at Desert Rhino Camp in the Damaraland Namibia
- Experience Africa at it’s best with a full-on guided walking safari staying in fly-camps in the remote bush in Zambia
Gorilla trekking in Uganda and Rwanda
There can be few more moving experiences than meeting the brown-eyed gaze of the hugely endangered mountain gorilla. If you’re looking for a unique adventurous honeymoon, and you’re prepared to trek for up to 6-7 hours for the reward of an encounter with a 220kg ‘silverback’, then the experience of gorilla tracking in Rwanda or Uganda is definitely worth every single step.
Saddle up on a horseback safari
This is one of those ”marmite” options. You are either horsey people or you’re not. But if you are, then why not include a horseback safari on your honeymoon?
From the moment you first saddle up on your horseback safari, to the last canter home, you will experience what it’s truly like to run with the herd. Regardless of which horseback safari you choose, you experience stunning African landscapes whilst watching nature unfold before your very eyes. We recommend Horizon Horseback Safaris or or perhaps Ant’s Hill for the perfect romantic honeymoon safari lodge. The Okavango Delta or the Makgadikgadi Pans are also stunning destinations for keen, experienced riders. See Horse safaris in Botswana.
Romantic Sleep-outs under the stars
Sleeping out in the bush is not for everyone (you are in a Big Five game reserve after all!). But if you are up for fully immersing yourselves in the sights and sounds of the bush, then there’s not much to beat it! Enjoy the calls of the wild, the spectacular night sky and the glorious African sunset and sunrise. Sleep-outs vary in style (and cost) from an ultra-luxurious offering at Lion Sands, to the romantic setting at Jaci’s Tree Lodge, to the rustic backdrop of Kanana Camp. Contact us for some more adventure honeymoon and sleep-out suggestions…
Check out our article on 10 Best Sleep-outs or Star Beds in Africa for more info…
Cycle on safari or through local villages
If you prefer breathing in fresh air to the insides of a vehicle, and you enjoy seeing things from a different perspective, then cycling through African villages and meeting the local people is an adventure in itself! Alternatively Mashatu Game Reserve offers epic safaris by mountain bike allowing you to experience the bush on two wheels.
This article on adventure honeymoon ideas is courtesy of Cedarberg Africa
Cedarberg Africa is a travel and safari company specializing in Southern and East African tailor-made itineraries. As we have special rates with all the hotels and game lodges, booking through us will cost no more than booking direct, and sometimes less. So our expertise and knowledge comes at no extra cost to you!
Check out our Honeymoon pages including safari honeymoons, 24 carat honeymoons, safari and beach honeymoons, South African honeymoons as well as Indian Ocean or Zanzibar getaways
Feel free to contact us if you want us to plan the perfect adventure honeymoon for you.