Clanwilliam is one of the ten oldest towns in South Africa. It offers a range of charming accommodation. This small country town is at the foothills of the Cederberg mountains. The country farming area is the centre of the indigenous Rooibos tea industry as well as an important wine, grape and citrus area.
Clanwilliam is the ideal base for exploring the surrounding Cedarberg mountains or Cederberg Wilderness Reserve. In Clanwilliam itself you can view some of the fine old Cape Dutch homes, visit the Old Gaol museum, buy some locally-made ‘veld’ shoes, visit the Rooibos factory or visit rock art sites with a knowledgeable local guide. There are a number of stunning walks to enjoy nearby, San rock art trails, wild flowers in season as well as Rooibos tea farm tours and 4×4 nature drives to enjoy. The Clanwilliam Wild Flower Reserve has one of the best displays of wild flowers in South Africa from August to early September.
Attractions of Clanwilliam
- Excellent walking base – full and half day trails on offer
- Its ‘1820 settler houses’ with its distinctly attractive Cape Dutch architecture in Park Street
- Starting point for the Cederberg Heritage Route
- Guided Rock art tours
- Rooibos tea farm tours and 4×4 nature drives
- Clanwilliam Wild Flower botanical garden