Mashatu Game Reserve lies in the Northern Tuli Game Reserve. Here is a wild and rugged landscape of savanna, open plains, sandstone outcrops and riverine forest. This diversity offers great game viewing with a strong chance of seeing large herds of elephant and many predators such as lion, leopard or cheetah.
Mashatu is also distinctive in offering more adventurous safaris. As well as day and night 4×4 game drives, it offers mountain bike safaris, horse-riding safaris, walking safaris. Plus Mashatu has very good specialist photographic safaris with ground-level hides at some waterholes for really eye-catching shots. Sometimes you can even accompany research scientists who are based at Mashatu.
(Mashatu’s innovative decision to encourage guests to accompany research scientists on their field work is a win for both researcher and visitor. The research scientists are the direct beneficiary of the small fee. So this helps to fund their ongoing research. Likewise you get to learn exactly how research is conducted. And to learn from the experts about that particular species’ behaviour and characteristics.
Why Visit Mashatu?
- Mashatu is easily accessible from Johannesburg
- It combines well with the Waterberg and northern Kruger safaris
- Mountain biking safaris
- Game-viewing on horseback
- Photographic safaris with water-level hides at some water-holes
- Chance to join predator and elephant researchers for a half day
- Perhaps visit Mapungubwe National Park en route?