Mozambique’s reefs and beaches have been unrated for decades. The upside is that - though Mozambique diving holidays are world-class - this is still a relatively well-kept secret. The colours of the unspoiled reefs are vibrant and pristine with many brightly coloured fish such as blue snappers, tiger fish and butterfly fish to be seen. Visibility ranges from 10m to 40m.
Many Mozambique diving sites, such as Manta Reef, are world-famous in diving circles. Other reefs, particularly in the Quirimbas Archipelago, are yet to be detailed. Larger creatures 'to see include barracuda, giant lobsters, manta rays, moray eels and loads of reef fish.
In the far north of Mozambique lies the remote Quirimbas Archipelago. This is a collection of idyllic tropical islands with powdery coral shores. The coral here has not suffered the degradation seen elsewhere due to the complete lack of development.
Around the islands of Bazaruto and Benguerra you might find yourself diving with turtles, whale sharks, manta rays. Or even the elusive dugong. Notable Mozambique dive sites include Two Mile Reef and the Aquarium. This is a favourite with novices and snorkelers.
The Southern coast offers a more affordable Mozambique diving holiday. This area, especially around White Pearl Resort, is well known for diving with the majestic whale shark.
- The warm Mozambique waters teem with 6,000 species of fish
- Leatherback and loggerhead turtles, as well as schools of dolphins are also often seen, especially between July and December. Humpback whales are also spotted between August and October.
- The warm waters off Mozambique’s 2,500 km of Indian Ocean coastline are one of the prime whale shark and manta ray viewing sites in the world.
- The whale shark is an impressive but completely harmless whale which is up to 14 metres in length – It’s usually seen between December and April.
- Sea temperatures range from a balmy 30C in summer to a still reasonable 21C in the middle of winter.
Incredibly well organised"Everything was incredibly well organised and left nothing wanting. We did not see all of the animals that we had hoped for but the experience we had was so much more than that. Hopefully we will return to Africa one day – maybe Namibia / Botswana next time. Thank you so much for organising everything for us it is very much appreciated. " Mr James Coleman
The trip was amazing"I will write in detail about all the places. In the meantime, I just wanted to write you a quick note to say THANK YOU so much for putting a wonderful trip together for our family. From the beginning to the end the trip was amazing. I will highly recommend you to anyone in the future for South Africa. " Mr Gord Dubey, USA
Very pleased with service"Very pleased with service received from Cedarberg – queries adequately answered, friendly + helpful staff (it helped me that there was a UK tel number to call), documents sent were clear and comprehensive. " Mrs Johnn, USA
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started
- Best Time to DiveAugust to December
- Marine Mammals5 of the world's 7 marine mamals are found off Mozambique