Dive with turtles, whale sharks and manta rays in the unspoiled depths of the warm Indian Ocean
Mozambique’s reefs and beaches have been unrated for decades. The upside is that - though Mozambique diving holidays are world-class - this is still a relatively well-kept secret. The colours of the unspoiled reefs are vibrant and pristine with many brightly coloured fish such as blue snappers, tiger fish and butterfly fish to be seen. Visibility ranges from 10m to 40m.
Many Mozambique diving sites, such as Manta Reef, are world-famous in diving circles. Other reefs, particularly in the Quirimbas Archipelago, are yet to be detailed. Larger creatures 'to see include barracuda, giant lobsters, manta rays, moray eels and loads of reef fish.
In the far north of Mozambique lies the remote Quirimbas Archipelago. This is a collection of idyllic tropical islands with powdery coral shores. The coral here has not suffered the degradation seen elsewhere due to the complete lack of development.
Around the islands of Bazaruto and Benguerra you might find yourself diving with turtles, whale sharks, manta rays. Or even the elusive dugong. Notable Mozambique dive sites include Two Mile Reef and the Aquarium. This is a favourite with novices and snorkelers.
The Southern coast offers a more affordable Mozambique diving holiday. This area, especially around White Pearl Resort, is well known for diving with the majestic whale shark.
- The warm Mozambique waters teem with 6,000 species of fish
- Leatherback and loggerhead turtles, as well as schools of dolphins are also often seen, especially between July and December. Humpback whales are also spotted between August and October.
- The warm waters off Mozambique’s 2,500 km of Indian Ocean coastline are one of the prime whale shark and manta ray viewing sites in the world.
- The whale shark is an impressive but completely harmless whale which is up to 14 metres in length – It’s usually seen between December and April.
- Sea temperatures range from a balmy 30C in summer to a still reasonable 21C in the middle of winter.
Glad we booked with Cedarberg"They were very informative and helpful. Milandi in particular helped us with car hire and when I lost my wallet on arrival in Cape Town. Milandi was always available to discuss and change anything required. Emails were replied to promptly." Mr Chris Jones, UK
Clearly experts on South Africa!"Very helpful on the phone and by email. Lots of detailed advice and clearly experts on South Africa! Would definitely use again and have already recommended to friends." Ms Abrahams, UK
You delivered us a near perfect experience"We had a wonderful trip largely thanks Cedarberg Travel. THANK YOU!! Thank you again Mari. We had a trip packed with fun, laughter, wildlife and bucket showers, all at a relaxed pace which made us all believe we had a real holiday, even if it started at 5.am every morning! I believe that you gave us 3 wonderful lodges ( arguably best we have visited in the African continent all with their special touch and ambiance, thank you.) Once again, another “Mari masterpiece”. You delivered us a near perfect experience, thank you again Mari." Mr Dennis Lee
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started
- Best Time to DiveAugust to December
- Marine Mammals5 of the world's 7 marine mamals are found off Mozambique