Wilderness, George & Mossel Bay
The quiet village of Wilderness, with its gorgeous beach, is a nature lover’s paradise. It is known for its lakes, placid lagoon and lush indigenous forest. Enjoy a lovely peaceful walk around the lake shore or stroll along the beach. You can follow back roads through mysterious primeval forests all the way to Knysna. This was the erstwhile haunt of 19th century gold diggers. It is this juxtaposition of the ancient and the picturesque that is part of the Garden Route’s charm.
Mossel Bay, at the gateway to the Garden Route, is a busy resort town with some stunning beaches nearby. You can visit the historically interesting Post Office Tree in Mossel Bay as well as the Batholomeu Dias Museum complex with its full scale replica of a caravel ship. It is also known for its whale-watching and shark cage diving excursions. It is also the starting point for the 4 night Oystercatcher slack-packing hiking trail.
The Western side of the Garden Route offers a range of accommodation including beach lodges and country retreats such as The Views Boutique Hotel and Wilderness Manor. There are also two malaria-free game lodges which are ideal for families – Botlierskop Game Lodge and Gondwana Game Reserve. It is also home of the world class golf estate hotel, Fancourt Golf Estate & Spa, as well as nearby highly rated Oubaai and Pinnacle Point golf courses.
Highlights of the Wilderness area:
- The Wilderness National Park is a wetland paradise for over 230 different bird species
- Walking trails including the Oystercatcher Coastal Trail
- Canoeing up the quiet rivers around Wilderness
- Enjoy game drives, picnics and horseback safaris at Botlierskop Game Lodge
- Visit the Post Office Tree & the Dias Museum with its full scale replica of Dias’ caravel ship
- Sea-based shark cage diving and whale-watching at Mossel Bay
- Visit the ‘Map of Africa’ in the indigenous forest behind Wilderness