Somerset West in coastal Winelands
Somerset West is in the southern part of the Winelands, close to the beaches of the False Bay. Here you have easy access to the wine estates of Stellenbosch. But you are also close to the beaches and whale-watching of beautiful Whale coast. So Somerset West is an ideal base to explore both the Winelands and the Whale Coast.
Visit the historic Vergelegen Homestead & Wine Estate, especially if you are interested in the history of the Cape. This was the country house of the first Governor of the Cape, Willem Adrian van der Stel. Also it was partly the cause of his fall from grace. This elegant and tranquil estate has the original Cape homestead, lovely gardens, an excellent restaurant for lunch as well as wine-tasting. It also has a state-of-the-art cellar tour. Somerset West is also known for its golfing options with Erinvale Golf Course and De Zalze Golf course close-by.
Hotels in Somerset West include the Erinvale Hotel or the charming Willowbrook Lodge nearby.
Attractions near Somerset West
- Vergelegen Wine Estate & Homestead
- Wine and chocolate pairing at Lourensford Wine Estate
- Olive oil tasting at Morgenster Estate
- Swimming at nearby Gordons Bay
- Sustainable ‘green’ wine farming in the nearby Elgin Valley
- Whale-watching off the False Bay coast and visit Hermanus
- Visits the penguins at Bettys Bay via the beautiful coastal road