Rovos Rail Golf Safari
Sept - Mar
$ 4,841 (Pps)
Another stunning luxury train journey from Rovos Rail is the delightful nine day Rovos Rail Golf Safari! This golf and train safari travels through South Africa visiting some of the top golf courses and scenic delights.
This special journey commences in Pretoria and travels west to Sun City in the hills of the Pilanesberg for a day. Here you will enjoy one of South Africa's top courses (or a game drive in the Pilanesberg for non-golfers). The next day is a day at leisure on the train as you head south to the Drakensberg Mountains. In the foothills of the imposing Drakensberg Mountains 18-holes await at the Champagne Sports Resort. Alternatively non-golfers can enjoy a guided tour of one of the most epic Boer war battles at Spioenkop. Followed by some arts and crafts shopping, or a walk at Champagne Castle.
Next you play one of South Africa’s finest courses, the Durban Country Club or Zimbali Golf Course. While non-playing guests enjoy a city tour of Durban. Followed by lunch at the Golf Club. Then it’s on to Zululand in northern KwaZulu Natal for game viewing in the Hluhluwe Game Reserve before the train heads for the Kingdom of Swaziland. You get to play a round of golf at the Royal Swazi Golf Club, while non-golfers visit the Ngwenya Glass Factory, lunch at Guava Galleries followed by a game drive in the Mkhaya Game Reserve before heading on to Malelane back in South Africa.
On the penultimate day, you play at Leopard Creek Golf Estate, rated South Africa's top golf course. (If this is not available due to championship dates, you will play at the very well-regarded White River Golf Club.) Whilst non-golfers can enjoy an early morning game drive in the Kruger National Park. In the afternoon the train begins its scenic ascent up over the Drakensberg Escarpment before arriving in Pretoria on the following day.
This golf trip will entertain the most discerning player. And at all of the golf venues there are a variety of optional excursions for non-playing guests...
Accommodation on the Rovos Rail golf safari
You can choose between three different compartment sizes, (all en suite):
- Pullman suite (smallest compartment size with banquettes which are converted into beds),
- Deluxe suite (more spacious with a permanent bed) or
- Royal suite (even more spacious with bath in the en suite bathroom, and not just shower).
Set departure dates
2021: 25th Mar - 02nd April, 30th Sept - 08th Oct, 19th-27th Nov
2022: 3rd - 11th Jan 2022, 2nd - 11th Feb, 21st-30th April, 10th to 19th Sept, 2nd to 11th Nov
Note: A second golf & train itinerary is on offer – The African Collage begins in Cape Town and visits the famous Fancourt and Oubaai courses in the Garden Route, Humewood Golf Club in Port Elizabeth, via the Drakensberg foothills to Durban to play at Durban Country Club, a safari in Mhkaya Game Reserve in Swaziland before ending with the highlight of Leopard Creek in the Kruger area before heading to Pretoria.
- Perfect for the discerning golfer playing some of the top golf courses in South Africa: Sun City, Durban Country Club, Leopard Creek amongst others
- This golf and train safari visits many of scenic delights: Sun City, Drakensberg, Dolphin Coast, Hluhluwe, Swaziland and ending with the Kruger..
- Plenty of optional excursions for non-playing guests... from game drives, to guided walks, to city tours and arts & craft design studios
- This relaxing and luxurious train journey is perfect for celebrating special anniversaries
- Several departures to choose from throughout the Southern Hemisphere summer months
Rovos Rail Golf Safari at a glance
An idea of price
All our itineraries are merely samples of what we can arrange. Virtually every trip is tailor-made for you. The exact price of our sample itineraries depends on the time of year and accommodation used. This is merely a guideline.
It excludes regional flights to the start and end of the itinerary (as these may vary depending on where you fly into Africa). But it includes an estimate of any flights WITHIN the itinerary. Contact us for a quote including any regional flights needed.