Fugitives Drift Lodge was an absolute highlight of our trip. The ambience and hospitality are superb, and they create a very convivial atmosphere. Lots of mingling and chatting around the fire at pre-dinner drinks, then communal dining on a couple of huge tables.
And the Battlefields tours are exceptional – the team (following on in the tradition of David Rattray) know exactly how to do it. Add in a wonderful setting right next to the historic Fugitives Drift, poignant views across to the ominous mass of Isaldlwana Rock and you have the perfect place for a Battlefields stay.
- We had Alastair Lamont for Isandlwana and Andrew Rattray for Rorke’s Drift. I had done both these tours before before from another lodge. Whilst they had been very good, the tour and talk from Fugitives’ Drift was exceptional
- Food was wonderful but not fancy. Roast beef, lamb parcels, lemon meringue pie…yum!
- Staff and service superb
- Very jolly and convivial communal dining and drinks before dinner
- Lovely gardens and views of Isandlwana rock & Buffalo River Gorge
- Note: Fugitives’ Drift Lodge is closing from 09 May to 05 July 2017 for a substantial rebuild and refit. On completion there will be 10 guest rooms, all with air-conditioning and a view. They will also have large decks and outdoor showers. The current dining room / lounge will become the museum, the office and the shop will move to the cottage, and there will be a substantial amount of additional re-purposing. New swimming pool to be built.