Have you considered a self drive holiday in South Africa? Perhaps friends have done it and told you how easy it is? We certainly believe it is one of the most enjoyable ways to explore the country and meet the people.
But perhaps you are more hesitant? Concerned about the condition of the roads? The ease of car hire or getting lost? We are here to put your mind at rest.
Cedarberg Africa started way back in 1995 as South Africa self drive experts as well as Namibia. Thousands of our clients have happily enjoyed a self drive for all or part of their trip. We know which routes are easy and manageable, which routes may be only for the more adventurous. When to opt for self drive and when to opt for a road transfer (or a flight..)
Why Self-drive Holidays in South Africa?
- Excellent value for money compared to having private transfers or a guide. See our blog post on Easy self drive tours in South Africa for a comparison of self drive vs scheduled tours vs private tours…
- Flexibility – no set daily plan. You can do what you like when you like. All that’s booked for you is your accommodation.
- You can take our sample self drive safari tours and adapt them as you wish, adding nights, upgrading hotels, adding in a special excursion.
- Select what type of car group you want from compact to luxurious.
- Freedom to explore at your own pace, setting off & stopping where you want.
- The roads are generally in good condition and all the road signs are in English.
- We provide detailed directions and a comprehensive travel itinerary outlining suggested routes & what to see in each area
- GPS is always included in the rental car. Alternatively we can book ‘Data on the Go’ in South Africa. (Though we are not always sure of where the GPS always assists in remote rural areas. See our blog on Using a GPS…)
- Car rental is straightforward and we use Bidvest, Europcar or Avis rental cars with offices throughout South Africa and Namibia.
Using a specialist tour operator who books a lot of self-drive in South Africa – like us – also saves you plenty of time and money. We have all the directions to the hotels and lodges at our fingertips. We know which routes are the easiest and most picturesque. Also we know how far people can comfortably travel in one day and still actually enjoy their self drive safari holiday…
Check out our sample self drive holidays in South Africa and Namibia to whet your appetite below. Naturally, we also craft a vast number of tailor-made self drive holidays to South Africa and Namibia, taking a detailed brief from you.
Best routes for Self Drive in South Africa?
Probably the routes that everyone finds easy are in the Cape province. You can settle in to the country in Cape Town, then have a car delivered to your hotel when you are ready to start exploring further afield around the Cape Peninsula, out to the Winelands. From there you can head north to the Cederberg or east to Hermanus and the Whale Coast and the Garden Route and Eastern Cape safaris.
However there are many other parts of the country to explore. KwaZulu Natal is a perfect destination for self-drive as private touring is expensive there and there’s lots of variety. You can also head into more off the beaten track areas such as the Northern Cape of Namaqualand and the Kalahari, the Waterberg or even the far northern parts of Limpopo.
Self Drive in South Africa: It’s not “all or nothing”
Of course it’s one thing enjoying a self drive holiday in the Cape or along the Garden Route. You may feel comfortable with that idea, but want road transfers or a private guide elsewhere. Not a problem! Combining self drive with other forms of touring is the way to have the best of all worlds and is very common for our clients.