The Great Karoo appeals to those who enjoy getting off the beaten track. It takes up a vast part of the interior of South Africa. It offers dramatic landscapes, huge skies and superb star gazing. Some of the most beautiful Eastern Cape safari lodges are in the Karoo, such as Kwandwe Game Reserve and Samara Game Reserve.
Graaff Reinet & Valley of Desolation
In the heart of the Karoo lies the fascinating historic town of Graaff Reinet. With its superb architecture and quirky museums, it’s been described as a ‘living monument’. The town boasts over 200 immaculately restored National Monuments from simple flat-topped Karoo houses to ornate Victorian villas. Some of these form the Graaff Reinert museum.
Close to Graaff Reinet is the Valley of Desolation. With its view over the plains of Camdeboo, it must be one of the most awe-inspiring vistas in South Africa. The Mountain Zebra National Park is also an easy drive away.
North to Graaff Reinet you can visit Nieu Bethesda, a tiny picturesque hamlet in an isolated, but fertile, valley. Here you’ll find the curious, eerie sculptures of the Owl House. Helen Martin was a virtual recluse who transformed her rather lonely home into a strange and intense art world.
Attractions of the Karoo & Graaff Reinet
• Enjoy safaris at Samara, Mount Camdeboo or Kwandwe.
• Exploring Graaff Reinet’s museums on foot.
• Visit the Valley of Desolation overlooking the plains of Camdeboo.
• Venture north to the Owlhouse in the scenic valley of Nieu Bethesda.
• Or take a day to visit the Mountain Zebra National Park between Graaff Reinet and Cradock