Moremi Game Reserve
Superb 4x4 game drives are on offer in the Moremi Game Reserve, particularly known for its beautiful lagoon terrain and its relaxed predators…
The Moremi Game Reserve is slightly elevated, protected tribal land on the eastern boundary of the Okavango Delta. The largest island in the Okavango, Chief’s Island, is within the Moremi. (But on a private concession).
It lies where the vast Kalahari grasslands meets the live-giving waters of the Okavango delta. Here there are no fences. Vast herds of elephant migrate from the Kalahari grasslands in search of water as the dry season progresses.
Resident species in the Moremi include lion, elephant, buffalo, hippo, giraffe, hyena, zebra, kudu, lechwe, sable and roan antelope.
Many people have heard of staying at a ‘land’ or a ‘water’ camp when in the Okavango. Many of the Moremi camps would be considered ‘land’ camps as they focus on 4x4 game drives. (However some of the Moremi camps do offer boating activities either year round or during the seasonal flood.)
We include the camps in the Khwai Game Reserve here as well because of its focus on game drives.
All the Moremi camps are on their own private lands. But they do also drive in the public areas of the park. So you should expect to see other vehicles on your game drives. (The exception is the Mombo concession on Chiefs Island (where Mombo Camp and Chief’s Camp are located.)
TIP: So we recommend that you combine a 2-3 night stay at a Moremi camp with a stay at one of the water-based or seasonal Okavango delta lodges in a private concession.
Kate BerghCo-founder & Director
Why you may love it
- Predator Heaven - The Moremi is particularly famous for its predators, both of the mammal and feathered variety. Wild dog, cheetah and leopard sightings are a highlight.
- The exceptional quality of the game-viewing more than makes up for the fact that walking safaris and night drives are not permitted.
- Animals in the Moremi tend to be relaxed. Often they are content for vehicles to come close. So it’s also a photographer's delight.
- Khwai also focuses on game drives but it allows walking safaris and night drives as well.
- We recommend that combining a Moremi or Khwai camp with a stay at one of the water-based or seasonal Okavango delta lodges in a private concession to get the best of all worlds.
Explore the Moremi Game Reserve map
Popular tours & safaris
We arrange trips to more than 100+ destinations throughout the African continent.
Start planning your dream trip
Need a little help? View our Safari Guide to help you get started
Exceeded all expectations"Okavango Delta. The inevitable highlight. The region lived up to its reputation (on the first morning, we watched three lions track a herd of buffalo for maybe an hour, before witnessing the kill from only 20m!). The safari crew were awesome: outstanding guide who really knew his stuff." Mr Michael Barnard
- ParkPremier park of Botswana
- SizeCovers one third of the Okavango Delta