The Waterberg, only 3 hours drive from Johannesburg, is a stunning area of natural beauty, a dramatic forested plateau dissected by ravines and waterfalls with panoramic views over the plains below. It is rich in wildlife , one of the prime areas for malaria free safaris in South Africa.
The attraction of the Waterberg is the winning combination of big five game-viewing, a beautiful landscape and easy driving distance from Johannesburg.
However the Waterberg comprises a number of discrete areas:
- Welgevonden Private Game Reserve has several private game lodges such as Makweti Safari Lodge and Clifftop Lodge
- Marakele National Park has Marataba Safari Lodge
- Entabeni Private Game Reserve offers a choice of five lodges as well as the nearby Legend Golf & Safari resort
- There are also a number of Safari Houses – intimate game lodges which are booked exclusively by a group of friends or a family party such as Ant’s Nest or Jembisa…
The game lodges vary as to their game-viewing. Welgevonden and Entabeni are Big Five game reserves and offer the chance of predator sightings. The game lodges around Vaalwater offers more plains game and horseback safaris are a particular speciality at these lodges, with riding on offer for both beginners and experienced riders.
Centuries ago, the Waterberg was the hunting ground of the San (Bushman) people and so fascinating Bushman paintings and archaeological sites are still to be found all over the Waterberg mountains.
Attractions of the Waterberg
- Spectacular mountain bushveld scenery – dramatic mountain gorges & spectacular sunsets
- Relatively easy drive from Johannesburg
- The Welgevonden, Marakele and Entabeni game reserves all offer Big Five safaris
- Horse-riding safaris
- Family friendly game lodges are plentiful as it is a malaria-free area
- Rare antelope such as roan, sable, mountain reedbuck, as well as brown hyena