Mashatu Game Reserve lies in the Northern Tuli Game Reserve. This is a wild and rugged landscape of savanna, open plains, sandstone outcrops and riverine forest. It offers great game viewing with a strong chance of seeing large herds of elephant and many of the predators such as lion, leopard or cheetah. Mashatu is also distinctive in offering more adventurous safaris. As well as day and night 4×4 game drives, Mashatu also offers a range of adventure activities including mountain bike safaris, horse-riding safaris, walking safaris as well as excursions to Mapungubwe. There’s even the chance to accompany research scientists who are based at Mashatu.
Mashatu’s innovative decision to encourage guests to accompany research scientists on their field work is a win for both researcher and visitor alike. The research scientists are the direct beneficiary of the small fee, and this helps them to fund their ongoing research. Likewise the guest gets to learn at first hand exactly how research is conducted and to learn from the experts about that particular species’ behaviour and characteristics.
- Easily accessible from Johannesburg
- Combines well with the Waterberg and northern Kruger safaris
- Mountain biking safaris
- Game-viewing on horseback
- Walking safaris ranging from one morning to several days
- Chance to join predator and elephant researchers for a half day
- Close to Mapungubwe National Park